Beginner’s Guide to Work From Home Jobs
Work-from-home opportunities are becoming increasingly popular in today’s workforce. This is especially true for technology-focused companies and workers who perform the majority of their daily tasks online.
Furthermore, many supervisors and company executives prefer to offer online work-from-home positions to candidates.
This is because organizations that have many remote workers can usually reduce their in-office expenses. In some cases, companies can even be based entirely online.
For prospective remote workers, it can be difficult to find legitimate work-from-home jobs. Scam job postings exist in every industry, and the internet is especially full of fake listings.
To avoid complications, it is best that you learn how to search for trustworthy work-from-home opportunities.
Likewise, you should familiarize yourself with the types of companies that usually hire remote workers. By preparing in advance, you can save yourself time when you search for your next full- or part-time work-from-home position.
How to Find Online Work From Home Opportunities
The internet is one of the most comprehensive tools you can use to help you locate legitimate work from home positions.
In a few seconds, you can view a complete list of different companies that are currently hiring remote workers. Popular sites that allow you to search for remote work opportunities in specific industries include:
When using one of these sites, you can filter your results to only include remote positions. Furthermore, remember that some of these sites usually only contain postings for roles within specific industries.
For example, the positions you find on Idealist are mainly for nonprofit positions. Similarly, Dice offers technology-related positions.
Since both of these industries usually offer roles for remote workers, they can be valuable places to begin your job search.
However, keep in mind that anyone can post a job listing online. This means that while your search will include legitimate postings, it is possible to encounter some job listings that are not real.
When looking for positions, try and avoid postings that:
- Do not provide the company’s name or contact information.
- Only provide a vague description of the type of work you would be doing in that role.
- Use language or terms that you find in other similar positions.
- Require you to pay a fee in order to apply.
Learn About Work From Home Companies That Hire Remote Employees
Many major companies offer remote work opportunities to qualified applicants. While positions at larger organizations are usually more competitive, you know that these types of business are only advertising real work-from-home jobs. Some major companies that offer these opportunities include:
- Amazon – Amazon is a massive online retailer that has customers all over the world. This company also has offices in various countries. Since the majority of this company is based online, there are usually different online positions you can apply for through Amazon.
- UnitedHealth Group – UnitedHealth is a major insurance provider for individuals and families throughout the United States. Many of the remote positions available through this company relate to customer service and data entry.
- EF – Education First – This company is focused on providing educational language and travel opportunities to enrollees. Candidates who have extensive travel experience or who know multiple languages may be able to find remote positions with this organization.
Find Out About Work From Home Customer Service Jobs
One of the most popular work-from-home careers across industries is customer service. Many companies are based in one country but have clients or additional offices in another part of the world.
For this reason, it is important that companies have employees who can communicate with and provide support to clients no matter where they are located.
If you speak different languages, enjoy working with others and are solution-oriented, a career in customer service may be a good option for you.
Usually, you can perform the job duties associated with being a customer service representative from anywhere.
As a result, this is a popular industry for remote workers. When searching for these positions, make sure you only apply for jobs that appear to offer good support networks for remote workers.
Otherwise, you may find yourself with little direction or understanding of your daily tasks.
Learn About Work From Home Data Entry Jobs
There are also many work-from-home jobs in the data entry field. To complete the tasks associated with this job, you usually only need to have a secure internet connection and a computer.
However, different companies may have additional requirements you need to meet in order to work remotely for them.
Many of the companies that offer remote customer service jobs will also have data entry positions available.
This is because most organizations need to organize and store data in an efficient way. Depending on the employer’s needs, individuals may be able to find:
- Full-time work.
- Part-time positions.
- Seasonal or freelance contracts.
Make sure you understand which of these types of employment are best for you. Freelance positions may offer the most flexibility, but full-time work will usually come with benefits.
Take all of these factors into consideration when determining which work-from-home opportunity is best for you.
About Work From Home Nursing Jobs
If you are a health care professional who is looking for work-from-home opportunities, consider the different nursing roles that are available to you.
Since being a nurse usually requires you to have contact with patients, you may believe there are not any remote positions available in this field.
However, this is not true. You can easily find remote employment opportunities that are related to the nursing field. Some potential jobs you can look for include:
- Call center representative. You may be able to find work at a call center that enables you to provide basic medical advice to callers. Often, the training you need to go through to have this job is also online.
- Online teacher. If you enjoy teaching, you may be able to find work as an online teacher for nursing courses. However, you may need to have an advanced degree before you can be a teacher in your field. This requirement varies by institution.
- Health IT specialist. If you have a passion for the health care industry and computers, consider a job as a health IT specialist. In these types of roles, you would be responsible for ensuring that the programs and systems medical professionals use are constantly running smoothly.